April 7th is National Beer Day so of course we are focusing on beer!
There are so many breweries in Portland it can be hard to decide which ones to go visit. Let me do the hard work for you and suggest some of my favorites. My husband is pretty big beer snob so I have done a lot of footwork on this subject. Here are my top 5 in no specific order!
- Wayfinder – 304 SE 2nd ave. – They have an epic patio, great food, and a really nice variety of beer styles. My favorite is their Helles, its light, super drinkable, and refreshing!
- Baerlic – 2235 Se 11th ave. – This brewery has lots of great beer, and they do some fun experimental ones throughout the year. My current favorite is the fruit fight, a sour fruit ale that is to die for!
- Little Beast – 3412 SE Division st. – This house turned brewery is a super fun place to get a sip and snacks. The specialize in farmhouse ales, so if you like slightly sour, or brett beers, this place is sure to wow. They also have an awesome lawn you can sit on! My favorite is the Fera, it’s a saison with brettanomyces and they have malts and hops just right!
- Breakside – multiple locations – These guys make great beer, plain and simple. I don’t like IPA, but I like theirs! They are known for making flavorful beers and for experimenting with some pretty wacky flavors. My favorite here is the Breakside Pilsner, but really you can’t go wrong with any of them.
- Ruse – 4784 se 17th ave. – This new brewery deserves your attention. They have a super cool space in an old firehouse and way more taps than you would expect from a new brewery. I have tried 8 of their beers and I loved them all. They also specialize in farmhouse ales, but if you aren’t into sour, they will have something for you too. My favorite so far was “the room in blue” A gose with blueberries!
I am sure that you can tell from the list, we really like farmhouse ales, but all these options have a little bit of everything. Please let me know which places you went to visit and what you thought! If I missed your favorite, let me know what it is!